For many young people, their knowledge of Iraq is restricted to media images of Saddam Hussein, the recent war and the on-going struggle for peace. It is therefore important to introduce a more multi-dimensional picture of the country and its heritage.
At Salusbury WORLD and Salusbury Primary School, we particularly celebrate the positive aspects the various cultures represented in our exiled communities during Refugee Week, enabling our refugee families to share their happier memories, and feel a sense of pride in their cultural traditions.
Many of the topics below are based on work prepared by Jo Harris of Salusbury WORLD for the 2007 Refugee Week celebration of Iraq.
- To introduce some background information about the history, geography, religions and cultures in Iraq, using engaging activities
- To signpost useful and reliable resources
- Basic introduction – Cloze passage
- Background information – Paragraph writing
- Research tools:
- Arabic language – http://www.newburypark.redbridge.sch.uk/langofmonth/arabic/player.html