Home from Home
A guidance and resource pack for the welcome and inclusion of refugee children and families in school
In 2005 we updated and reprinted our book "Home from Home: a guidance and resource pack for the welcome and inclusion of refugee children and families in school", first published in 2004 by Save the Children. Download the Order Form here.
With the dispersal of refugee children and their families around the country, many schools are welcoming them for the first time. Home from Home is a resource pack that provides guidance for the successful inclusion of refugee children and families into school.The materials are drawn from the experience of staff at Salusbury WORLD, a school-based refugee project in London.
The effective practice described in this pack will be relevant to primary and secondary teachers and teaching assistants, learning mentors, home-school liaison workers, educational psychologists and others.
The pack is divided into clearly signposted sections for quick and easy reference, covering:
- welcoming refugee children and their families to the school community
- helping refugee children become effective learners
- creating opportunities for parents to get involved
- developing play opportunities after school and in the holidays
- signposting advice and support in areas such as housing, health and immigration.
Each section contains detailed information on related resources, organisations and websites.