Friends of Salusbury WORLD
Life for refugees and asylum seekers is not easy, even after crossing the border to safety.
For asylum seekers in particular
- there can be long periods of fear, frustration and uncertainty while your status is decided
- the daily struggle of living on an income which is 30% below the poverty level, difficult enough for anyone, but so much more so if you are vulnerable and alone
- forms need to be filled in, deadlines met, letters answered, all of which can have critical repercussions for you and your family - the bureaucracy is complex, and very unfamiliar
- and all of this in a culture of disbelief and disrespect, while 'immigration and asylum' is high on the political agenda
At times like this you would value a real friend. And that is exactly what the staff at Salusbury WORLD are for many refugees in our community.
Salusbury WORLD is a registered charity that provides educational, social, emotional and practical support for children and families who have come here to seek asylum.
We are community based, and since being set up in 1999 have made a tremendous difference to many local refugee families who are rebuilding their lives, often after a period of trauma and upheaval.
"Without help on every matter like housing, benefits and education we would have had great difficulty in managing everyday life."
Parent from Iraq.
Currently our services include:
- Advice and advocacy sessions for parents
- Extra English support for children
- Welcoming new children and parents to the school
- facilitating Parental Involvement in their children's learning
- Community links between refugees and local facilities
- After School and Holiday Clubs
- Training and consultancy for schools
We aim to share our good practice with public service professionals, to influence local and national provision for refugee children and families, and to add a well-informed voice to the current debate on asylum.
We are asking you to support the work that we do.
As an independent charity, we have to apply for funding for our various activities. With no fixed guaranteed source of income, we need to apply regularly for grants. Your support could make a huge difference in keeping the charity running.
You too can make a difference.
Please agree to become a Friend of Salusbury WORLD. By donating as little as £5 per month for a year, you can help:
- buy welcome packs for newly arrived children, consisting of a book bag, pencil, ruler, rubber and a bilingual dictionary
- provide advocacy and advice for a family who may be in danger of losing their home.
In return we can offer you:
- Newsletters three times per year updating you on our activities and the current issues around asylum
- Invitations to our exciting events and celebrations
- Talks to supportive organisations at a nominal fee
- Opportunities to visit and get to know us
- The satisfaction of knowing that you are making a difference
"When we make nice things it makes me feel good. The grown-ups show us different activities to do and if I don't do it right, they don't mind. They let me try again until I get it right. When I don't come to After School Club I don't get too sad, but I do get grumpy."
Ahmed, age 6 from Somalia
What to do...
There may be other ways you can get involved. For example:
- Volunteer at the After School club, or with children's reading. Find out more »
- Offer skills and connections to help with the running of the charity. Find out more »
Please contact us if you want any further details.
Refugees are often ordinary people like you and me, trying to make the best of their lives in extraordinary circumstances.
"We have been very grateful to all the people who have supported and believed in us. I hope to achieve my lifetime dream of becoming a doctor. I may not be able to serve this society at present in an influential way but I believe I can contribute my determination, ambitions and hard work to the community and hope that in the future I can make a change, be it small or large."
Ardita, age 13 from Albania